I have had to have the exhaust replaced, there was only so long I could put it off for! I went to MIJ exhaust in Walsall. Took about 3 hours to do. Unfortunately, I was given the choice of two tips, both weren't ideal and was told there were the only ones that would fit. Although there is a picture of an Avantime on their advert and website of one with a very nice twin tailpipe which is exactly what I wanted! The car is much quieter now, but has a nice subtle tone and sounds a bit nicer higher up in the rev range. The tip is set at a bit of an odd angle, and I would like to change this in the long run. Another thing, is the exhaust is banging against the body and starting to damage the underside. The knock is loud and there is no heatshield, so the hot exhaust is just burning away at the finish of the body. MIJ has said they will address when I can get the car to them next.
Recently the car has stopped working, and then has been very tempermental since! It was not starting, although you could hear the solenoid click and all electrics worked. It seems to not attempt to start below a set voltage, and would work if jumped. However, fitting a brand new, which i then trickle charged, the car seems tempermental at best, with occasional starting! This is proving a nuisance. Thank god I can cycle to work!
Eventually the car gave up at my girlfriend's house, and the RAC couldn't start it or recover it back for free (my cover is limited and would have been £105 for the additional 10 miles!). After leaving it there for a week and ordering a new starter motor from France, a friend helped me change it on their drive and it started right back up quickly. A quick test of the starter motors off the car with a battery identified a nasty rattle and the starter gear not retracting. This has resulted in it eventually giving up and not having the power to turn the flywheel! We managed to change it without lowering or disconnecting the cat on the V6 as the Renault guide suggests which saved us loads of time even if it was a bit tighter to work on!
So a new exhaust, battery, starter motor and all the spares I bought have set me back a bit, but the car is leaking coolant and it looks like it's coming from the radiator. Will this ever end! it can wait till I pick up my finances!
No comments:
Post a Comment